Invisalign is one of the most advanced orthodontic appliances ever developed. It is a great option as an alternative to traditional metal braces as they offer several advantages and are aesthetically more pleasing. Their transparent nature is what turns heads and is highly preferred by the younger generation.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic aligner that is made from dental-grade clear plastic. This allows it to stay in disguise during the treatment period, yet work its magic at moving the teeth to their desired positions. It is backed by a revolutionary technology that allows the dentist to accurately map out the positions of the teeth, predict their movement and provide a digital representation of their final alignment. This gives the patients a good idea of how their teeth would look at the end of the treatment period.
Why should you get malocclusion treated?
- Malocclusion has affected the lives of millions of people from all around the world. It mainly affects the aesthetics of the smile, thereby negatively impacting the overall facial appearance.
- Due to the negative effect on facial aesthetics, a person’s self-confidence would take a hit. People with malocclusion would usually feel more self-conscious and uncomfortable while socializing with people. It may also lead to frequent embarrassment.
- Misaligned teeth apply unequal stresses on the jawbone and facial muscles. This can lead to pain in the teeth, soft tissues, and the TMJs as well.
- Cleaning crooked teeth can become very tricky. Despite regular and thorough brushing and flossing, a lot of microbes tend to get accumulated between the teeth. This can fuel the formation of plaque and tartar, leading to cavities.
Why should you choose Invisalign?
- Invisalign is made from transparent plastic material. This allows the aligners to blend in with the teeth, allowing it to stay in disguise. It is especially helpful to teenagers and youngsters as it would help them keep away from embarrassment.
- The technology used for Invisalign allows the dentist to closely monitor the treatment process. The movement of the teeth during each treatment phase can be controlled accurately.
- The aligners are removable. Whenever the patient needs to brush the teeth or eat food, they can simply take the aligner off, carry on with the activity, clean their teeth and put it back on.
- There is no restriction on the foods you can eat during your Invisalign treatment. You just have to make sure no food particles are stuck between your teeth when you put them back on.
- Since the aligners are absolutely metal-free, the chances of sustaining an oral injury are next to none. Also, the aligners have no sharp corners or brackets that could injure the soft tissues of the mouth.
Initial screening before the treatment would include visual examination, x-rays, and oral scans to determine the exact positioning of the teeth and check for any infections or conditions that could affect the treatment procedure. A special hand-held scanner will be used to acquire the data required for fabricating the aligner. The aligners will be made in several sets depending on the treatment period.
Initially, when you put on Invisalign, it may feel a little uncomfortable against your teeth and gums. But, the feeling would eventually wear off and the teeth would be moved gently and gradually. Several sets of aligners would be used during the entire treatment period. Each aligner will have to be worn for 22 hours a day, every day, for a period of 2 weeks. They can only be taken off when you have to eat food or brush the teeth. Once every 2 weeks, the old aligners will be replaced by a new set. Depending on the severity of malocclusion, the treatment period will vary between a few months to a couple of years.
Call us at (843) 569-8795 or schedule an online appointment to discuss Invisalign with our highly trained professionals at Smiles of Charleston.